Sunday, October 28, 2012

Beckett's Costume - Phase 2.3

FYI, snap tape is a pain to work with. It seemed like it would be simple to just sew it in, but I had a really hard time staying on the edge without hitting the snaps. I tried using a zipper foot as recommended, but ended up going back to my regular (zig-zag?) foot and raising it around the snaps.

Gratuitous Beckett pic.



 This picture shows my crooked stitching and that the snaps face the inside of the jumper.

Before sewing in the other strip of snap tape I serged the edge because this side won't be folded under. Since fleece doesn't fray that was really unnecessary, but I love my serger and make up excuses to use it.

Pinned.

Slightly less crooked stitching.

Front completed.


Giant baby-head clearance opening on the back. I had planned to use snap tape,but I ran out. I decided to make it a button closure, which was way less scary than I thought. I did the same perpendicular seam at the top of the back seam as I did at the crotch to separate the button placket.

More unnecessary serging along the cut edges and a straight stitch along the inside edge of the button placket. 

Mr. Marshmallow. I should have added a gusset to for diaper room. He is wearing a super thick nighttime cloth diaper in the picture, though, so it shouldn't be as snug with a regular diaper. 
Marshmallow jumper complete. On to Phase 3 - the collar.

Phase 1, Phase 2.1, Phase 2.2